Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Quick Movie Review: This Is Where I Leave You


While this isn't an amazing film, it's not a terrible one either--far from it. The cast is great and the depth is there--albeit deceivingly--but I just simply couldn't relate. And it's not like I can't enjoy a film that I don't relate to, but it was a little more difficult since there wasn't anything else to sink my teeth into other than the personal lives of the characters. I suppose that I would have gotten a lot more out of this film if I came from a dysfunctional family and if my life was a mess.

And although there was a fairly original sense of humor that evoked genuine laughs, the drama isn't anything I haven't seen before--and at times, a little bit over-the-top. 

However, it's not completely pointless. It presents some great takeaway lessons about dealing with a sucky time in your life. And if nothing else, it makes you feel better about the good things you have going for you in your own life by comparing it to those of the characters in the movie. 

Overall, this is a movie that really does suck you in and you appreciate it for its genuineness. You never feel like the characters reactions are unrealistic, and the 3rd act doesn't try and force cliche conclusions for each character. And that is why you can applaud it in the end.


Twizard Rating: 76

No comments:

Post a Comment